Soundcraft Signature 12MTK. Street price around £375.00.
(Reviewed by John Verity)
Soundcraft, a well-established UK company known for their range of fully professional digital consoles has drawn from its past to create an old-school analogue mixer, but with up-to-date features.
Analogue mixers continue to be a useful – perhaps essential tool in the armoury of the music educator. Sessions covering signal flow, auxiliaries, equalization and routing can be much simplified by using a console of this type which clearly and effectively allows the tutor to demonstrate the facilities, skills and effect.
The Soundcraft Signature 12MTK incorporate Soundcraft’s Ghost mic preamps, directly drawn from the company’s top-of-the-line professional consoles, to deliver excellent audio quality with high headroom.
Equalisation usefully, includes swept mids on the microphone channels and there is a wide variety of built-in Lexicon studio-grade reverb, chorus, modulation and other effects and dbx limiters on the first 2 input channels.
However, the ace in the pack here for the educator, is the ultra-low-latency USB interface that captures every channel, which can then be mixed or transferred to a DAW for further mixdown, evaluation, and feedback.
Evidence gathering can often be a chore with certain practical units, and this facility will enable quick and easy ways to store and review evidence for a whole range of practical sessions where the desk has been used.
For example, where several learners must be assessed in a single session, each learner will be able to quickly save the mix they have created, allowing the next learner to utilize the same equipment, and so on…
Learners will also be able to record live performances easily, and work on their production skills with these recordings in later sessions in a studio environment.
Accompanying the console is a free download of the Lexicon MPX-L native plug-in, and Ableton Live 9 lite however the system has been checked using most popular DAW packages.
The Signature range includes the larger 22MTK and other variants without USB - follow the links below for full details...
- High-Performance 12-input small format analogue mixer with on-board effects and multi-track USB recording and playback
- 14-in/12-out ultra-low latency USB playback and recording interface*
- Iconic Soundcraft® Ghost mic pre-amps with ultra-low noise performance
- Renowned Soundcraft® Sapphyre British EQ with sweep-able mid-bands per channel
- Lexicon® Effects Engine featuring award-winning Reverbs, Delays, Choruses and Modulations
- dbx® Limiters (High-ratio Compressors) on input channels
- Switchable Hi-Z inputs for guitars, basses and other instruments
- Hi-Pass Filters (low-cut) and 48V Phantom Power on all mic channels
- Comprehensive Soundcraft® GB series audio routing with Auxes (flexible pre/post switching) and subgroups with switching and dedicated outputs
- Smooth premium-quality faders
- Robust metal construction for tour-grade build quality and reliability
- Internal universal power supply
A fully professional console, highly recommended for use in the music/music technology teaching environment. robust, well specified and easily adaptable to use in the classroom/workroom during group work.